Below are some guidelines for the competitive gymnast.
- All athletes are expected to attend their regularly scheduled classes.
- Parents or athletes are asked to notify their coach via email or by phone when unable to attend.
- All athletes are expected to come prepared for their class. They should have an identified gym bag that comes with them everyday.
- The following items should be included in their gym bag: Gymnastics attire: Bodysuit for girls, shorts and t-shirt (or singlet) for boys. Grips, tape, and a small healthy snack. Some coaches have asked that children have ankle weights and/or a skipping rope in their bag.
- Female gymnasts should also have a hair brush, extra hair elastics and clips.
- The athletes should also bring a water bottle to every practice. Water is the best liquid to drink while training and competing.
- All athletes are expected to respect and abide by the rules that govern the sport; in the spirit of sportsmanship. All athletes are expected to have a positive attitude, be motivated to learn and want to be in the gym.
Below are some guidelines for the parent of a competitive gymnast:
- Parents are asked to inform the gym anytime their child is unable to attend their regularly scheduled class.
- Parents are asked to keep themselves informed by checking their email, communicating with their child's coach, visiting the announcements page on the website and becoming aware of the gym's operations.
- Parents are asked to volunteer the equivalent number of hours that their child trains a week. (Example: If your child trains 8 hours per week you must volunteer for 8 hours a year.)
- Parents are asked to speak with their child and ensure that gymnastics is something they wish to participate in.
Drop Off/Pick Up Policy:
Parents are required to bring their athlete(s) directly to the gym and wait until they are in the custody of the coach. Classes start and end promptly at scheduled times; please be on time to pick up your child. If you will be delayed please call.
Classes commence and end promptly at the scheduled times. Please do not drop your child off early without supervision and be on time to pick up your child. Parents are required to bring their children directly to the gym and wait until they are in the custody of the coach. Cygnus is not responsible for children until they enter the gym floor. If delayed please call the gym. Our staff reinforces the “wait in the lobby” rule, however our staff continue with another class and it is difficult to ensure that your child stays in the facility. Therefore it is most important to be prompt, please inform your child to stay inside the facility. We share our space with Loblaws Limited (Dominion Stores) and we ask that our members do not exit our facility via the Dominion entrance without adult accompaniment.
Class Cancellations and Gym Closures:
The decision to close the gym due to weather will be at the discretion of the Office Manager and the Head Coach. Decisions will be made according to the following timeline:
Morning Gym Closure: A decision will be made by 8:00AM and communicated accordingly
Afternoon: Should the gym be closed for the morning, an updated decision will be made by 11:00AM regarding the remainder of the afternoon
Evening: A final decision to close the gym (or keep it closed for the remainder of the day) will be made by 3:00PM
Communication of the decision to close will be made by the most efficient means possible including website, radio stations, and recorded outgoing message. Due to the high volume of participants and coaches involved with the Club, individual families/coaches will not be contacted directly. Participants, coaches and staff are ultimately responsible for ensuring they are aware of class cancellation or continuance. The general rule of thumb is: when in doubt, call 739-8197 and listen for the recorded message before heading out.
Classes cancelled due to weather or building closure WILL NOT be rescheduled. If in doubt please call the gym where a recording will be left on the message manager.
Parking is available on the left hand side of the parking lot and in the back parking lot next to Quidi Vidi lake. IT IS ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT THAT ALL PARKING IS AT THE BACK OF THE PARKING LOT DURING COMPETITIONS
Deadlines for registration fees, forms and other items are often time sensitive and must be handed into GNL. Please ensure that you are aware of deadlines and have your information handed in at that time. Training fees are due the 1st of each month. Ten post-dated cheques dated for the first of each month.
*Note: There are other policies that apply to the competitive program that are not listed on this page.